Friday, June 18, 2010

Brownies and Spaghetti Squash

I love food!
I love making it and I love eating it.

I enjoy browsing through my cookbooks looking for different recipes to try. There are a few things I will make over and over again, but most things I try, end up being a one shot deal. This is probably because of my lack of cooking/baking ability. Most recipes serve, at the minimum, four people. And while at times I might eat like I am four people, it's a little too much food for just me. I will usually cut the recipe in half. This wouldn’t be a problem for most people. However, I tend to forget half way though. The cake will end up with half the amount of flour and a full amount of sugar.

Even though my creations aren't anything to write home about (those that are, are sent via picture text message to mom!!), I still love the process. I get to make something delicious (hopefully) from several items that would be anything but delicious on their own.

Food is an incredible thing on many levels. The question was asked in my Life Group, "Where do you see God"? My answer at that moment was food. That answer received many laughs. I had this realization as I was in my kitchen cooking with spaghetti squash. I pulled out of the oven and cut it open. I soon had a pile of spaghetti like strands filling up the plate. And while you might be laughing at this as well, it was an AHA moment for me. God has given us all we need to nourish our bodies in the food he created. And its not just bland manna like food. He has given us food in all shapes, sizes, colors, textures, smells and tastes, each filled with vitamins, minerals and the nutrients needed to keep us alive.
Not only is he a creative God (have you seen spaghetti squash?!) but He is also one who loves to lavish his children with good things.
I also love food because it brings people together. When was the last time you were with a group of people and there was no food?
All of that to say, I have found the most amazing brownie recipe. This will not be going in the ‘tried and failed’ pile. In fact, I have made them three times in the last two weeks. They are full of rich, chocolaty goodness and even a hint of coffee flavor. They are super quick to make (and eat!). I have no desire to cut this recipe in half. I will gladly eat the whole pan!

THE MOST AMAZING BROWNIES
1 C Sugar
2 eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup butter, melted
½ cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt

FROSTING:
3 tb baking cocoa
3 tb butter, melted
1 tsp instat coffee granuals
1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
2-3 tb warm water

In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add butter; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to batter and mix well.

Pour into a greased 8 in square baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 min.

For frosting, combine the cocoa, butter and coffee. Gradually stir in confectioners sugar and enough water to achieve a spreading consistency. Frost brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment